Saturday, September 8, 2012

Once Upon a Senior Ball

It was my junior year in high school, and having moved over the summer, it was also my first year at that school. Needless to say, I was super excited when Sam asked me to go to Senior Ball with him. Perhaps I should have seen a red flag when he asked me by passing me a note in Biology that read, "Do you wanna to go Senior Ball? If it's a yes, look over at me. You're being filmed." Completely mortified at the thought of being filmed (and in front of my entire class, nonetheless), I refused to look at him. I wrote "yes" on the note and passed it back to him. *He later revealed that his dream was to become a director. Why he thought filming me in Biology would be a good start, I don't know.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. The day of the dance had arrived, and boy was I excited! Earlier that week, one of my friends, forgetting when the dance was, accidentally spilled the beans on the boys' plan to kidnap the girls for breakfast. Knowing that, I made sure my pjs were extra cute and going-out-in-public worthy. Well the time came, and I was rather shocked to wake up to him AND his camera bursting into my room (ps... mom, why did you let him into my room?!?). Oh, and as he was waking me and filming me, he swiftly ripped my covers off me and said, "Logan, wake up!" SERIOUSLY, dude? Seriously? Second red flag.

Following an adventure to the Denny's in AF, he dropped me off and told me that our day date would include sledding and other snowy fun. He'd pick me up at 3. Well, 3:00 came and went, and he wasn't there. 4:00 came and he still hadn't shown up. Frustrated, and not knowing what to do since I couldn't contact him, I thought I'd lie down and take a quick nap. I slept for longer than expected, and woke to him showing up at the door... at 5:00! And don't let me forget to mention that he was ready for the dance. And I was in my snow gear. With no make up on. And my hair was in a ponytail. Oh, and everyone else was already picked up and waiting for me in the van. Awesome. Would you be surprised if I told you that I was a wee bit upset?

Frantically, and with tears in my eyes, I ran to my room, threw my clothes on, slapped some mascara on, adjusted my ponytail, and ran out the door. (I learned shortly thereafter that they had decided to cancel the sledding activity, but Sam had just not bothered to call me. Super neat, eh?) So we were off to Souper Salad for a quick dinner then off to the dance for pictures. Pictures were fine. We had to sit on a snowmobile, and he wanted to do some sort of strange pose like I was a crazy driver and was throwing him off the machine. Refusing to play along with his shenanigans (and really wanting to throw him off the machine at that point), I smiled nicely while he pretended to fall off the snowmobile. It was classic. And now I have that moment frozen in time. :)

After some dancing (and I use the term loosely--- no dance skills here, my friends), our group left early to go sit in his friend's van and watch a movie. Yes, all eight of us, gathered around a tiny screen, watching a movie. Priceless, I tell you. Priceless!

The night eventually ended and I got to go home. Thankfully, Sam didn't ask me out again. He did, however, continue to bug me in Biology. I think my friend finally told him I wasn't interested, and I didn't hear much from him after that. Poor fella.

Moral of the story? Well, there is no moral. Just pray you don't have to go through what I did!

2 comments: