Friday, September 14, 2012

It's cool if you buy your own, right?

As you can tell from my previous post, my poor dating luck began pretty much as soon as I started dating. Yet another case in point from my high school days:

Nathan was super cute. And I SO badly wanted him to ask me out. Well, he finally did, and I was thrilled! Our high school was putting on "Bye-Bye Birdie", so that was our plan. We of course were on a group date with some of his friends, who, for the record, were super obnoxious--- you know the type: the ones that do whatever they want, say whatever they want, talk as loudly as they want without any regard for social norms (I'm all about being yourself, but you should at least respect social rules to some extent, yeah?). Anyway, I digress. The play was lovely. I hadn't seen it before, so it was fun. We decided to go to ice cream after. Thinking this was part of the date, I assumed that all parts of the date would be paid for by Nathan. Well, we all know what assuming does. While we were waiting in line to get our ice cream, he turns to me and says, "So, it's cool if you buy your own, right?" Ummm. Panic. This had never happened to me before, and I had no idea what to say. My 17 year old self was not with it enough to make a witty remark about how he should pay. So I quickly replied that it was fine and proceeded to order. At least my ice cream was tasty!

Is it just me, or should he have at least asked me when we made the decision to go for ice cream, NOT when we were standing in line to buy it?!? What if I hadn't brought my wallet? Or what if I didn't have enough money? Maybe I should have played dumb and told him I didn't have any money. But, looking back on it, I probably would have been the only one without ice cream, 'cause it was pretty apparent that he wasn't going to fork out the three dollars to buy me dessert.


And thanks to Nathan, I have never forgotten my wallet on a date since then!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a date from high school...we should talk sometime (actually the date I had had parts from three of your posts all at once!!!!)

    ReplyDelete