Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls in Cold Stone?

In my previous life, I worked at a doctor's office, and the ladies there were constantly trying to set me up on dates. It's probably best that I didn't ever tell one of them about the guy she set me up with.

I should preface this with the fact that my best friend from Nevada had just moved back to Provo and had called me earlier that day to see I would be available to go on a group date that night. I told her that I already had a date, but that I didn't think it would be too long and that I would call her when I got home if it wasn't too late. I was kinda, sorta hoping that my date would end early so I could go on this other date too. (I know, I know, not the most proper dating etiquette, but when you're 21 and you don't want to go out on the first date to begin with, what else do you expect? And it's not like I told the first guy I needed to be home early so I could go on another date. Give me some credit!)

Well, he picked me up and we went to a musical showcase at BYU (which was really good), then to grab some ice cream at Cold Stone. Things had gone pretty well up to that point. And then we got out of the car to go to Cold Stone. He opened his trunk and proceeded to pull out a plate of homemade cinnamon rolls. Confused, I wondered what we were doing with those if we were going to get ice cream. I don't know about you, but I know that when I am going into a dessert place to buy dessert, I don't bring my own dessert with me. Maybe that's just me?

Anyway, we bought our ice cream, chose a table and sat down to eat our ice cream and cinnamon rolls. We got some pretty strange looks. And I felt a wee bit uncomfortable.

The date was not over yet, folks. Ohhhh no. After our dessert excursion, he wanted to drive me around his old neighborhoods and show me the houses he used to live in. While I appreciate a trip down memory lane as much as the next person, those types of activities are best left for people who actually know each other, are invested in each other, and who are wanting to know about every detail of that person's past. It's just not first date material, ya know?

He took me home after that, and lucky for me, it was only about 8:00! I quickly called my friend to see what their plan was, and was thrilled to find out that they hadn't left yet, and that Mike (my date, who I ended up dating for 3 months after this night) was really hoping I could go. Turns out it was going to be a good night after all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment