Wednesday, March 6, 2013

In which I almost went out with a criminal.

This isn't a funny bad date, but is definitely worthy of the blog.

As you can tell by previous posts, I have not had the best luck with normal set ups or normal ways of meeting boys. Due to this, I decided to give online dating a try. I should have guessed that I would have just as bad of luck via the internet.

I had all sorts of fellas contacting me--- the schlumpy, the arrogant, the inbetweeners, etc. I got them all. And then one guy contacted me and he seemed pretty normal and stable. He had a career and owned a couple of businesses (which now as I look back, he was very proud of. He flaunted his wealth like no one I have ever seen before). After talking through the dating site a few times, we talked on the phone. One night, I was on my way home from my second job and had stopped at the gas station to pick up some snacks for me and my roommate. We had planned to have a girl's night in, and since it was already 9:00, I was ready to be in for the night. He called as I was in the gas station. Our conversation went as follows:

Him: Hey! How's your night going?
Me: Oh pretty good, just getting ready to head home and hang out with my roommate for a bit.
Him: Oh yeah? Well how about you have a change of plans and meet me at the Del Taco in North Orem for a late night snack ?
Me: I'm actually picking up some drinks and snacks for me and my roommate. Thanks, though!
Him: Come on! Forget your roommate and come with me!
Me: I appreciate the offer, but I think I will just head home. I already have the drinks filled, and I promised my roommate that I'd be home soon.
Him: Oh come on, she will forgive you. Please meet me!
**At this point, I was uncomfortable with his pushiness.
Me: No, I really ought to head home. Maybe some other time, though!
Him: Fine, we'll try meet up another time. Have a good night.

Well, I was a bit put off by his attitude and the way he was talking to me. When he called a week later, I didn't answer, nor did I call him back. He texted, and I ignored him. I just felt weird about it.
Thank goodness I didn't meet him!!

A few months later, I was working on my computer and had the news on, but had the volume muted. I happened to look up right as this guy's picture flashed across the screen. I quickly turned up the volume only to find out that he had just been arrested. What for you ask? Oh, you know. Just kidnapping the girls he met, taking them up to his cabin or house and raping them, holding them hostage, and threatening them to keep them quiet. The news reported he would often ask girls to meet him somewhere, convince them to get in his car, then drive them up to Heber.

I immediately had this sick pit in my stomach, and was SO grateful that I had a roommate to go home to that night and that we had already made plans. I was SO grateful that I didn't go and so thankful I was able to dodge that bullet. Thank goodness. I just feel so sad for the few girls that did fall prey to his conniving ways.

Needless to say, my online dating profile was deleted that night. Never again, folks. Never again.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! That's really scary. Glad you did what you said you would do and take those snacks and drinks home, like a good friend/roommate!!

    ReplyDelete